Services for Parents
I provide parent consulting to help you:
- Understand your educational options in the Puget Sound Area, including public, private, hybrid, and homeschool options, as well as afterschool and summer enrichment (local, online, and national).
- Sort through reports from various professionals, including Neuropsychologist Reports, IQ testing, Occupational Therapy, Vision, Auditory, etc. I can help you understand what the results mean, and what next steps you might consider.
- Identify what kinds of testing might be needed to chase down a learning disability or other Twice Exceptionality (2e), and what kinds of professionals you might be looking for.
- Access both standard and non-traditional therapies for dysgraphia, dyslexia, social development concerns, executive function support, vision processing disorders, auditory processing disorders, and others.
- Find appropriate research to support your advocacy with schools and other providers.
- During the pandemic, all family consults are being done via Zoom.
Note: I can't provide a diagnosis for anything. I don't provide counseling or therapy for parents (or for kids). I can't force your school district, principal, or teacher to change their decisions. I don't do college counseling. I don't work with kids directly, only their parents.
I occasionally run SENG Model Parent Discussion Groups (SMPGs) in the Woodinville, WA area. These groups include 10-20 families, who meet weekly for an 8-9 week series. If you are interested in being added to the waitlist for a future discussion group series, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I also do evening or weekend presentations for parent audiences throughout western Washington state. Usually this is in combination with being on site for professional development earlier that day. Occasionally, I will also do a parent presentation through NW Gifted Child Association (NWGCA), where I currently serve as President, usually at one of our bigger events. Parent groups or other community organizations can also hire me to give an evening presentation to their parents, either in person or online.
Here are my most commonly requested parent/community talks:
- Smart is not Easy: What Grit & Growth Mindset Mean for the HiCap Student
- I Think It's 2e, But What Kind?
- Peeling the Onion: Equity in HiCap Identification